This past weekend I invited all the girls over to my house for our first “stitch n bitch”. I had been wanting to do this for some time now. I thought it would be a lot of fun to have some friends over and hang out, have a few drinks, a few laughs and work on one of the many projects that I have started and have never completed. Well, that was exactly how it went down… all except I found myself taking on another project.
I thought it would be fun to use my little girls old baby clothes to make a little quilt. Of course I have never made a quilt before, but I am never one to back down from a challenge. Especially a crafting challenge. The only problem I have seems to be completing these crafts. I usually get an idea like this and run to the store, buy up all my supplies, work on it for an afternoon or two then it sits in a box or bag somewhere crying out my name every time I go into the basement. I won’t bore you with the details of the countless crafts I have started, or relive my shame in not having come close to finishing any of these ideas. Now I am on to something new (yet again)
I have been doing some small little hexagon patches for this baby quilt that I think will look amazing. I am all geared up to do it on the weekend and I ask my MIL for some advice because she is an amazing quilter. When I go over to her house she shows me all kinds of extra material I can choose from, all these beautiful patterns that I can make. She fills my head with ideas and inspiration. Armed with a jelly roll, some packets of fabric and a giant cutting board I am off on a new quest to make a new project. It’s a larger quilt made up of little frames. Looks easy enough, just follow the pattern, cut the material and sew it, right?
The pattern is calling for me to use 1 jelly roll, and a few pack of charms. I don’t know what these charms things are but I have tons of fabric, and my MIL said I can use the fabric and cut it to the dimensions of the charms they are asking for. 5 1/2 inches squared. Perfect. So that is just what I do. Only when I begin to sew the pieces together things are not matching up the way they look on the pattern. I can’t wrap my head around it. For two days.
I keep at this, because It is something that I am refusing to give up. Finally I figure out that a “charm” is a 5 inch square and there is a misprint with the pattern I am using. incredibly frustrating. I am glad that I did not give up hope though.
I put all my little squares up on a fleece blanket in the basement so I can see what my pattern would look like.
I then began to sew all the frames around the squares. I scrapped the idea of using the fleece blanket and i just looked at the picture on my phone to see where everything goes. Two reasons. I like to do things as I go, and I was done with going up and down the stairs every time I needed a new block to work on.
Then all I have to do is just sew the squares in a strip, ensuring that I match up the center charm on each and there we will have it.
This is where I am at now, once I am done I will post a follow-up. I am hoping that by posting this blog it will give me some extra accountability for actually finishing this project. I am sure it will. I have already talked about my next 3 quilts I plan on making.