This September was Loveliness’s first year in Full day Kindergarten!
We were very excited and so proud of her. She was going to be going off for a whole day on her own. It was going to be a scary adjustment for her I am sure. All her friends from Senior Kindergarten would be going to Grade 1. She would be taking the bus all day and meeting a new teacher and new friends. I would also have to get used to this too. I will not have my little chatterbox with me all day. I will have to be making full lunches. I was a little scared too, but I was also looking forward to the time I could spend with Sunshine alone.
We learnt that in Full day Kindergarten there would be nap times in the afternoon. The children didn’t necessarily need to nap, but they needed to relax and just wind down. For this it was encouraged that the children brought a blanket to lie on. I decided to make a nice little quilt for Loveliness. I tried my best to get it ready for her first day, but unfortunately I was unable to have it completed. I waited till after the Christmas Holidays to give her her new quilt and she was so happy with it.
I chose my fabric and sewed strips of three together. I cut them out and alternated them so all the dark pink rows lined up. I took the Pink Corduroy strips and lay them out in between each of the blocks.
I sewed all the strips of three together then i trimed the rough sides off and sewed it to the pink Corduroy.
Once everything was all sewn together i made a strip of Corduroy going around the outside of the quilt like a binding.
I then lay it with the wrong side down on the table and I placed a layer of batting on the top of the entire quilt. I made the mistake of pinning the batting. So i had to do it all over again. That was what made me take so long in making this quilt. I put it aside because I was dreading having to take apart all my work.
After making a bunch of stitches in the layer of batting, I lay the bottom piece of material with the nice side facing the batting. I sewed all around the quilt and left a space to turn the quilt outside in.
I turned in the open seam and quickly stitched it shut with the sewing machine. I then thought it would be a good idea to do a crazy stitch on the top of the quilt. My mother in law told me about this technique and I thought I would do it not problem.
Problem is when It was going horribly wrong I chose not to stop and just kept doing the whole strip. I spent the next hour pulling all the stitches out.
I decided to just go with my original plan and do a simple running stitch in a square all along where the corduroy meets the fabric.
And this is the finished product. Sure it is a little later than I had intended but now Loveliness has a special quilt from Momma. She has also been asking for it ever since September so I am relieved that it is finished.